Fire Cyder is a traditional herbal remedy used for centuries in folk medicine using the powerful benefits of horseradish, garlic and chilli with the added benefits of raw apple cider vinegar to create a supercharged tonic for winter traditionally used to prevent and treat coughs and colds. Many people take 1 tablespoon daily (or for some a shot glass!) very day either neat or added to other drinks.
This is a great home recipe to make for all your family and friends….just be careful not to breathe in the horseradish too strongly!!
- 1 medium horseradish root grated
- 1 medium ginger root (approx 8inches) grated
- 1 medium organic onion chopped finely
- 10-12 cloves of garlic crushed or chopped
- 2-3 chilli peppers chopped
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 tsp of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- organic raw apple cider vinegar (at least a bottle)
- raw local honey to taste – usually at least 1/2 a jar (not needed for 4 weeks)
- optional other ingredients (great if you can get them):
- a handful of dried, sliced astragalus root (or 1tbsp of powder)
- a handful of dried Schisandra chinensis berries
- Add all the ingredients except the vinegar into a 1.5-2L kilner jar and fully cover with vinegar using at least 1 bottle. Shake well and seal and store in a dark cupboard for 4 weeks. Shake regularly at least 2-3x a week during this time.
- After 4 weeks strain mix through a muslin or cheesecloth and squeeze the pulp to remove as much liquid as possible and pour into a clean jar. Add 1/2 jar of honey stir in well and taste, add more if required. Once made store in the fridge, will usually last for up to 3 months but discard if becomes discoloured or spoiled.