The Natural Doctors: It is really difficult to find an on-the-go breakfast that competes with the carb and sugar laden cereals from the supermarket. For kids and adults this makes a great, healthy fat and protein based snack (or breakfast) that will fill you up and keep your brain and body going.
The walnuts provide valuable antioxidants, omega 3’s and L-arginine an amino acid that protects your heart, brazil nuts are an excellent source of cancer-preventing selenium and flax seed keeps your gut healthy. Add some full fat yoghurt or organic raw milk and a handful of dried goji berries for a delicious treat.
You Will Need:
- 55g (2oz) unsweetened desiccated coconut or raw coconut flakes / chips
- 85g (3oz) chopped brazil nuts or hazelnuts
- 85g (3oz) chopped walnuts
- 85g (3oz) chopped almonds
- 85g (3oz) sunflower seeds (or mix with pumpkin seeds – I like to have 20g pumpkin seed)
- 85g (3oz) flax seeds
- 115g (4oz) butter (can substitute coconut oil if dairy free)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2-3 tsp cinnamon
- Sugar to taste (tip: we add 2tsp of Sugavida a healthier (lower GI & low fructose) form of sugar that needs very little to sweeten)
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/Gas 4.
- Measure out and chop hazelnuts or brazil nuts, walnuts and almonds. Add to coconut, sunflower and flax seeds.
- Melt butter, cinnamon and vanilla essence in a pan and stir into the mix.
- Spread out on a baking sheet and add sugar to taste.
- Bake in oven for 5 minutes and stir. Check and stir every 5 min after until golden brown (takes about 20 minutes in total).
- Remove and allow to cool before placing in an airtight container and storing in the fridge.