Natural Doctors: On a keto or low carb diet we have found that you can miss biting into a really great sandwich. Low carb bread can be tasteless and brittle. A really soft fluffy bread can be made simply out of just a few low carb ingredients. It tastes amazing with so many fillings and we have listed our favourites below as ideas for you.
This is a modified version of cloud bread (which you may have seen) however this version is different as it is tough enough to pick up and eat like a real sandwich. It contains eggs which are a fantastic source of essential fats and almonds which contain vitamin E, magnesium and can help reduce hunger promoting weight loss. With less than 2g of net carbs per 2 slices of bread it is a staple in our houses, especially if you’re craving a Sunday morning bacon & sausage sandwich!
You Will Need (Makes 4 slices):
- An electric whisk
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 pyrex jug or small bowl
- 1 spatula
- 1 baking tray
- 1 silicone baking sheet
- 2 eggs
- 2 heaped tsp ground almonds
- 1 heaped tsp of cream cheese
- black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar
- Separate the egg whites into the bowl and the egg yolks into the jug.
- Into the egg whites place the cream of tartar.
- Into the egg yolks place the ground almonds, cream cheese and 1-2 twists of pepper.
- Using the whisk beat the egg whites until very stiff. They must form hard peaks – this is the success or failure of the recipe. It should take 2-3 minutes.
- Using the same beaters, beat together the yolk mix for a few seconds until it is fully blended.
- Carefully add the yolk mix to the egg white using the spatula to gently mix it being careful not to lose too much air.
- Once mixed put into 4 equal portions on the baking trays
- Gently spread the mix so they are about a 1cm (1/3 inch) thick
- Place in a preheated fan oven on 140 degrees C for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove and allow to fully cool. They are easier to remove from the sheet when cold. Ideally eat immediately although they will store in the fridge for 2-3 days in a click box separating each slice with baking parchment.
- This recipe makes enough for 4 slices but you can double or half the recipe depending on how many you want to make.
- Once removed from the sheet build up your sandwich with your favourite toppings.
Our Favourites Are:
1. Parma Ham with: Mozzarella, Artichokes, Avocado, Olives, Cucumber, Radish Sprouts
2. Chicken Mayonnaise with : cucumber, red pepper, lettuce, avocado & grated cheese.
3. Bacon sausage and mushroom Sunday Delight!