Dr Jess says: It is a challenge to find healthy snacks for kids (or adults!) when trying to keep down the sugar and wheat. This recipe is great, easy to bake with children who often enjoy mushing up banana, and makes a grain and dairy free tasty cake that can double as a healthy breakfast or mid-morning snack. Ground almonds are a great source of fibre, Vitamin E and protein, eggs contain healthy fats and unsweetened cocoa powder is high in antioxidants.
Makes 16 muffins with only 6g of net carbs per muffin (deducting fibre) and if you omit the honey / sugar they have only 5g of carbohydrate per muffin!
You Will Need:
- A mini muffin tin (silicone is easiest – we use 12 hole mini muffin mould)
- 255g ground almonds
- 2 eggs
- 3 soft ripe bananas
- 25g raw honey or sugar (optional can lower or omit to taste)
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- handful of flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 150˙C.
- Blend eggs, sugar, bananas, cinnamon, baking powder and salt together.
- Mix in ground almonds then remove 1/3 mix into separate bowl.
- Add cocoa powder to smaller 1/3 and mix together.
- Into pre-greased cake mould, spoon layer 1 teaspoon normal mix, then 1 teaspoon chocolate mix and fill up with normal mix.
- Fill all moulds and then sprinkle over flaked almonds for decoration.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.